Search for a Job
Vacancy for Executive Secretary/Chief Executive Officer
The Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka (IESL), the apex professional body for the engineers in Sri Lanka, is a member of the International Engineers Alliance and a full signatory of the Washington Accord and the International Professional Engineers’ Agreement. Its Head Office I Secretariat in Colombo and chapters established in all the provinces of the country as well as overseas serve a 13,000 strong multidisciplinary membership serving both within and outside the country.
Conferring of 'Chartered Engineer’ and ‘International Professional Engineer’ status to qualified professional engineers and accreditation of engineering degrees in Sri Lanka are among its key functions that ensure the quality standards in the professional practice and education in engineering in the country. It also conducts short I long term courses, workshops, seminars, learned society lectures and other programmes for the continuous professional development of its members.
To meet the challenges ahead it requires the services of a high caliber and performance-driven person with a proven track record as the Executive Secretary I Chief Executive Officer who will directly report to the Council through the President of the Institution. He/she is required to oversee all major functions including but not limited to financial, administrative, HR, marketing, etc. and guide the Council with accountability by providing necessary information in making policy decisions. The ideal candidate should be visionary, self-motivated, and energetic and satisfy the following requirements;
- Not exceeding 60 at initial recruitment
- A Bachelor’s degree preferably in Engineering and the Corporate Membership of the Institution. A postgraduate degree in business administration and any other related field will be an added qualification. The candidate should be well versed in IT skills.
- 15 years in a senior management post preferably 5 years at the corporate management level including administration and financial management- Experience in a professional institution dealing with qualified professionals will be an added advantage.
- Should possess self-initiative, drive and a vision for the future of the Institution. Leadership, effective communication skills in public speaking, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills, presentation skills, and ability to deal with professional institutions and professionals will be an added advantage.The candidate should possess excellent writing skills in English. (The candidate will be required to demonstrate these skills at the interview.)
- Responsible for the work of the Secretariat and to conduct all ordinary business of the Institution and shall be the Chief Executive Officer.
- Responsible for all Financial, Membership and Professional Development matters, Purchase of Capital Goods, Infrastructure Development etc.
- Attending to all matters relating to (a) Officers Committee (b) Professional Standards Management Committee (c) By- Laws Revision Committee (d) Benevolent Fund Committee and any other standing committees or ad-hoc committees decided from time to time by the Council.
- Organizing Annual Sessions and other annual events.
- Implementing and follow up of decisions of the Council, and all other standing and other committees as appropriate directly and where necessary through other officers under the Executive Secretary.
- Organizing and monitoring the implementation of the Corporate Plan relevant to the respective Standing Committees.
- Working towards strengthening the Secretariat to International Standards.
- International activities of the Institution.
- General supervision of the work and conduct of provincial and overseas chapters of the institution
- Supervision and administration of entire staff of the IESL either directly or through staff directly under the supervision of the Executive Secretary.
The selected person would be offered a remuneration package consistent with market norms. Candidates meeting the above requirements may send their applications along with a CV, documentary evidence to support qualifications and experience, and a recent passport size photograph by registered post to reach; The President, Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka, 120/15, Wijerama Mawatha, Colombo 07 on or before 28th April 2017.